Los Angeles is one of the best cities in the world for vegan restaurants, and these give even omnivores exciting new flavors and a fun way to get a bit more healthy.
This list will be ever evolving as new places open. Vegan diets or meals are all the rage now, shooing up from 1.5% just a few years ago to over 6% nationally, but that’s especially true among young, hip, educated people so the real numbers are higher.
Omnivores alike are increasingly open to vegan diets if nothing else as a way to try interesting new foods.
Back in the 1990’s, vegan diets were long on belief and ethics with a side of preachiness and often short on flavor. Today, vegan food rocks and in many cases is flat out superior to old-school “necrovore” diets.
I’ve starred a few below as personal favorites, but all of these are good.
- NEW: Beelman’s Vegan Pub
- Ramen Hood in Grand Central Market
- Shojin, vegan “sushi” style food. Incredibly unique. Try “Crunchy Tiger Hidden Dragon” roll.
- Au Lac – asian style
- WEST HOLLYWOOD
- Crossroads Kitchen – a bit posh and not cheap but inventive and a great dining experience. Aimed at omnivores to some degree with meat analogues i.e. chickenless waffles
- Gracias Madre – mexican style done well. Don’t miss the jackfruit tacos.
- Doomies – vegan “junk food” – burgers
- SILVER LAKE
- Little Pine, owned by Moby the musician. Cute, charming, delicious foods
- CULVER CITY
- Sage – classic. Pumpkin pierogis, bowls, vegan ice cream
- Native Foods – excellent A+ sandwich style shop
- Masala Dosa
- THE VALLEY (San Fernando Valley, that is)
- Vihn Loi Tofu (map). Tip: Just tell Kevin you’re in his hands and you’ll get fabulous, fresh, off-menu chef’s choice – the whole restaurant is vegan, run by ironman triathlete Kevin. Near the 405 and Sherman Way.
- Sun Cafe – BBQ cauliflower and vegan happy hour, live music on the patio…near the 101 at Cahuenga, walking distance from Universal Studios metro
- Krimsey’s Cajun Kitchen – a taste of New Orleans, near 170 at Sherman Way
- THE OTHER VALLEY (Pasadena Area) (San Gabriel Valley)
- Real Food Daily
- One Veg World
Even more & honorable mentions…
- Vromage, a vegan cheese shop in West Hollywood – serves sandwiches, though I think mostly people go for take-out.
- Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine in Mid-Wilshire – exotic, unique, fun and healthy.
- Cafe Gratitude, Larchmont Village Hollywood area and a few other locations
- Veggie Grill, various locations including Hollywood
A truly comprehensive list:
Think I missed something? Drop us a line and we’ll be happy to add it.